This was a two platform station with a passing loop built on a single track railway. The main station building was on the eastbound platform with a waiting room on the westbound platform, reached by the footbridge. It was west of Shieldhill Farm.
The westbound line was the loop. The goods yard linked to this at the east end of the station, crossing the main, eastbound, line to reach the yard. The yard had a loading bank and sidings.
The signal box was at the east end of the eastbound platform.
The line closed to passengers in 1952. The box was replaced with a ground frame in 1957. The railway closed in 1966.
The station building is now a house. New houses have been built on the site of the goods yard.
| Knowehead Quarry|
Heathhall Rubber Works
Heathhall Farm Bridge
Cairn Valley Junction
Lower Portrack Viaduct
Guillyhill Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|