Seldom Seen Pit (Plashetts Colliery) (1862-1889)
James Furness Tone (J.F. Tone & Co) was the operator of the Plashetts Colliery in the 1860s, taking over from the Duke of Northumberland. This pit was sunk to the east of Plashetts on higher ground reached by the Plashetts Colliery Waggonway which rose from Plashetts up Slater's Incline and then across moorland to reach the Belling Burn.
The line terminated at a staith with several sidings on the east bank of the Belling Burn, which is crossed just to the south. A higher level line ran from the staith to Plashetts Colliery, just to the north, where there was a level and several coal shafts.
There were miner's cottages both at the pit and to the south, later expanded into the small village of Far Colliery (Plashetts Colliery).
The pit was worked out by 1889 and replaced with two new pits. Far Colliery (Plashetts Colliery) and Bank Top (Plashetts Colliery)]] villages were built. The waggonway was cut back a little from the staith.
Bellingham (North Tyne)
Other railway and industry locations
Far Colliery (Plashetts Colliery)
Bank Top (Plashetts Colliery)
Belling Crags Quarry
Thorneyburn Coal Siding
Thorlieshope Lime Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|