Far Colliery (Plashetts Colliery) (1889-1932)
Far Colliery was a very small mining village just south east of the Plashetts Staith at end of the Plashetts Colliery Waggonway. A single miner's row existed here before the majority of the village was built around 1890 when the original Seldom Seen Pit (Plashetts Colliery) was worked out and two new mines were sunk by the Plashetts Coal Company (later the Plashetts Coal and Coke Company).
The village consisted of two miners' rows. Bank Top (Plashetts Colliery) dates from the same period.
The colliery closed around 1932 with the death of Joseph Slater. The land was bought from the Duke of Northumberland by the Forestry Commission in 1932 and the village became ruinous. Parts of low parts of the buildings remain.
Bellingham (North Tyne)
Other railway and industry locations
Seldom Seen Pit (Plashetts Colliery)
Bank Top (Plashetts Colliery)
Belling Crags Quarry
Thorneyburn Coal Siding
Thorlieshope Lime Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|