Sandilands [Lanarkshire] (1864-1964)
Opened on the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a single platform station with the platform on the east side of a single track line. The platform was on a raised embankment.
There was a goods yard on the east side, connected to the north end of a goods loop which was north of the station. A signal box was in the 'V' of the loop and sidings.
There were several railway cottages.
The box closed in 1937, replaced by a ground frame.
The station closed to passengers in 1964 and the line closed in 1968.
Much of the passenger platform remains. The nearest station cottage has been extended. It is now a bed and breakfast Station House Lanark . The goods yard now has other uses as a yard and the nearby railway cottage is still in use as a house.
The station was named for Sandilands Farm, around 3/4 of a mile to the south west. There was no village here and none developed after opening.
To the north east was Sandilands Viaduct.
Other railway and industry locations
Douglasdale Coal Pits
Rigside Signal Box
New Lanark Mills
Smyllum South Junction
Smyllum West Junction
Smyllum East Junction
Caledonian Mineral Oil Works
Lanark Race Course
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|