Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
This was a two platform station serving Ryton, just a little to the south. The station was on the south bank of the River Tyne. There were building on each platform, station house on the eastbound. There were no goods facilities.
The station closed in 1954 and nothing remains of the station today.
Ryton marks the end of the tidal section of the River Tyne. Below Ryton, going east, the water was deeper and there were staiths, which came to be served by early waggonways, at Lemington Staiths and Blaydon.
Other railway and industry locations
Newburn Steel Works
Heddon Colliery (King Pit)
South Stella Powerstation
Clara Vale Colliery
North Stella Powerstation
Blaydon Burn ^Mary^ Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps