Royal Navy Torpedo Factory [Greenock]

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Royal Navy Torpedo Factory [Greenock] (1910-1951)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

Opened in 1910 to replace a works at the Woolwich Arsenal. Closed in 1951 replaced by Royal Navy Torpedo Factory [Alexandria]. Much of the site is redeveloped. There was no rail access, but Fort Matilda station was just to the south. The site adjoined Cardwell Bay, Ironotter Point and Whiteforeland Point.


Tags

Factory torpedo

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67