Porthmadog

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Porthmadog (1867-)

Opened on the Aberystwyth and Welch Coast Railway.


Description

This is a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. The main station building is on the southbound platform. At the west end of the westbound platform is a short engineer's siding.

To the east of the station the restored connection between the Welsh Highland Railway and the Festiniog Railway crosses the line on the level.

The car park to the south of the station is the site of the goods yard, formerly approached from the west.

To the east is Porthmadog [WHHR] station, terminus of the short Welsh Highland Heritage Railway.

The flat crossing to the east was originally with the Croesor Tramway. Another crossing to the west was with the long closed Tremadoc Tramway.

To the east was a short standard gauge branch to Beddgelert Siding, an interchange with the Croesor Tramway and start port for the abortive Beddgelert Railway. This former curve is now the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway.

Local

Porthmadog [WHHR] is not far to the east, the terminus of the short Welsh Highland Heritage Railway .

Further south at Porthmadog Harbour is a combined station Porthmadog Harbour [WHR] and Porthmadog Harbour [FR] for the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways .

04/04/2019

Tags

Station