Philpstoun

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Philpstoun (1886-1951)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station just to the north of the rail served Philpstoun Oil Works with which it was associated. The works had its own railway network spreading out to various oil shale mines.

The station was to the west of a cutting crossed by a road bridge to the east of the station. There were North British Railway style buildings on the platform.

To the west were loop on the south side of the line for the oil traffic. There were a few sidings for local goods.

Philpstoun itself, just to the west, developed after the railway and oil works.

10/04/2018

Tags

Station oil works

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map