Pettinain Signal Box

Location type


Name and dates

Pettinain Signal Box (1897-1964)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


This 1897 signal box was on the east side of the line south of Carstairs, Float Viaduct and the Strawfrank Watertroughs. It controlled access to Grange Siding from which the Cairngryffe Quarry Tramway ran south west to the quarry. The siding was on the west side of the line and approached from the north.

The box closed in 1964.

Nothing remains but railway cottages, the Grange Cottages, to the south of the siding. The main line remains open.


Signal box siding quarry


An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)

Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)

Caledonian Railway

Caledonian Railway Carriages

Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style

Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock

Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press

Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

Callander & Oban Railway Through Time

Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)

Signalling the Caledonian Railway

The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s

The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)

Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway

Vanished Railways of West Lothian