Parkhouse Halt

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Parkhouse Halt (1941-1969)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This private halt had two platforms. It was built in 1941 to serve Carlisle RAF Maintenance Unit (14MU), just to the west. The RAF depot was expanded to cover a considerable area. The halt was named for Park House, just to the west.

The site remains relatively intact, with broken down timber platforms, the trackbed is clear but platforms very overgrown.

The access to the RAF site was just to the south, at Brunthill Siding, controlled by a box dating from 1944 and closed in 1969.

The two storey building which appears in photographs of the station on the southbound platform was not part of the halt.


Tags

Station halt RAF

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map