Newport-on-Tay West

Location type

Station


Names and dates

West Newport (1879-1880)
West Newport (1887-1950)
Newport-on-Tay West (1950-1969)

Opened on the Newport Railway.


Description

This was a single platform station on the north side of the line. The station building was at the west end. The building was brick built, rectangular with a flat roof. There was no goods yard.

Little remains of the station, but the trackbed is still very clear within parkland on a slight embankment. A concrete panel, which faced the platform at the east end, remains with some of the letters of a painted on 'Newport' still visible. A railway cottage remains by the former level crossing at the west end.

Tayfield Den Viaduct was to the east, the girders are now removed.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map