Newington [NBR] (1884-1962)
Opened on the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was an island platform station. The island was accessed by steps down from Mayfield Gardens/Craigmillar Park at the east end and by a footbridge and path on the north side of the line which ran to Mayfield Road to the west.
There was no goods yard alongside the station but there were two substantial yards to the west, both on the north side of the line and served from the west.
The island survived closure for many years but has been removed. The tracks still part as if passing round the platform.
Princes Street [1st]
Princes Street [Tram]
St Andrew Square [Tram]
York Place [Tram]
Edinburgh Princes Street
Other railway and industry locations
Newington Stone Yard
Cameron Toll Signal Box
St Leonards Tunnel
Blackford Hill [Hill]
North British Brewery
Cairntows Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|