Milliken Park [1st]

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Cochrane Mill (1846-1853)
Milliken Park [1st] (1853-1966)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was the original Milliken Park station, originally named for the mill to its west on the bank of the Black Cart Water. The station was a little closer to Paisley than the present station. Milliken Park itself was to the west on the opposite bank of the watercourse.

It was a two platform station with the main building on the northbound platform and a waiting shelter on the southbound.

There was a goods yard on the west side, which made a trailing connection to the south end of a loop off the northbound line. The signal box was north of the station and on the east side of the railway.

The station closed to passengers in 1966. The box burned down in 1978 and was not replaced.

It was 1989 before a new Milliken Park station opened.

The site of the original station was not reused. The site of the goods yard is now a bus garage.


Tags

Station