This station was uphill and about a third of a mile to the east of the village of Maidens, at Jameston.
The passenger and goods stations were quite far separated. The passenger station, with an island platform, was to the south of the goods station. The platform building was typical of the line and entry was via a subway at the south end of the island platform. The signal box was to the north of the station building.
This was a single track railway. To the north the line gave the appearance of a double track as the line north, on the west side, had the goods yard line on its east side. This connected to the southbound line alongside the north end of the passenger platform. The lines ran north to cross Kirkoswald Road to reach the goods station.
The station closed to passengers in 1930. The box closed in 1936 when a ground frame was fitted. The railway closed in 1955.
The station site is now a caravan park. The subway remains.
Other railway and industry locations
Craighead Lime Works
Souter Johnnie^s Cottage
Balchriston Level Crossing Halt
Croy Electric Brae
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Locomotive Apprentice: At the North British Locomotive Company
Rails to Turnberry and Heads of Ayr: The Maidens & Dunure Light Railway & the Butlin's Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Tales of the Glasgow and South Western Railway