Low Row (1838-1959)
Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
This was a two platform station to the east of a level crossing. The goods yard was to the west, on the north side of the line and approached from the east. A loop ran round the south side of the westbound platform, leading to a siding to the east. To the west was a siding and turnplate for Carricks Factory, to the south.
The level crossing remains in operation. A stone built station building, of two storeys is to the south of the line, just east of the level crossing.
The signal box was on the north side of the line, west of the level crossing. Replaced by a new signal box in 2009 on the south side, just east of the former station building. This box is built in a traditional style.
Other railway and industry locations
Denton Fell Quarry
Upper Denton Siding
Poltross Burn Viaduct
Upper Denton Level Crossing
Milton Level Crossing
Birdoswald Roman Fort
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps