Rothley [Northumberland] (1870-1875)
Opened on the Northumberland Central Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a single platform station located in a cutting. The platform was on the south side of the line with a loading bank at its east end, the siding serving it approached from the east. The signal box was at the east end of the station, on the north side of the line and opposite the points for the siding. It opened in 1875, was replaced in 1893 and closed before line closure.
To the west was a tramway to West Rothley Lime Kilns, the tramway running north west from the station.
To the east a tramway ran to Longwitton Colliery.
Rothley and Longwitton are quite far apart and the station was at neither. Longwitton is 2 3/4 miles to the south east. Rothley just under 2 miles to the south.
The platform survives and gate posts survive on the approach road from the west to the station.
Ray House (Halt)
Morpeth [B and T]
Other railway and industry locations
Whitehouse Lime Works
Scots Gap Junction
Scots Gap Turntable
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
The Northumberland Central Railway
|The Rothbury Branch (Locomotion Papers)|