Knightswood Mineral Depot

Location type

Sidings

Name and dates

Knightswood Mineral Depot (1928-1965)

Opened on the Cowdenhill Branch (North British Railway).

Description

This mineral depot was a goods yard, a terminus parallel to Great Western Road served from the north west by the Cowdenhill Branch (North British Railway). There was a loop and road access was from Glencoe Street.

Trains from Cowdenhill Western Colliery and Knightswood Brick Works could run round here before continuing to Knightswood South Junction.

The terminus replaced another, with some alteration to the approached to bring the terminus to the east, when Great Western Road was opened in the 1920s. The road cut off the approach to the existing loop at Jordanhill Brick Works which closed in 1928 when the nearby bings were exhausted.

This depot was on roughly the site of the earlier Skaterigg Brick and Tileworks. Also here were Skaterigg Colliery Pit No 14 (south) and Skaterigg Engine Pit (east). Remains of these are completely obliterated.

The trackbed survives as a footpath, ^Temple Walkway^.

Tags

Goods yard sidings loop