Opened on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.
This was a two platform station. The goods yard was on the east side, approached from the north, or by reversal from a spur from the south. The main station building was on the westbound platform.
The line was doubled in 1878, when the signal box opened (north end of the station, east side of the line).
A road bridge was at the south end of the station. The road has been re-aligned and bridge survives on the old road alignment.
The box was replaced with a ground frame in 1946. The station closed to passengers in 1950 and the line closed in 1965.
The main station building remains, now in use as a house. The goods yard is now Mossband Residential Park . In this are the former railway cottages Mossband Cottages which were at the north end of the goods yard alongside the signal box.
Kirkgunzeon itself is to the north west.
Castle Douglas (St Andrews Street)
Other railway and industry locations
Southwick Factory Siding
Southwick Ammunition Factory
Kirkgunzeon Lane Viaduct
Castle Douglas Shed
Cargenbridge Chemical Works
New Abbey Corn Mill
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|