Kinneil [1st] (1899-1930)
Opened on the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a small station to the north west of Kinneil. Due to misspelling in timetables it was also known as Kinniel.
Kinneil Iron Works, just to the east and with its own tramway system, had opened in 1843. The railway opened in 1851. Furnace Yard Pit sunk 1880s.
Initially a ticket platform opened in 1899. On the east side of the line.
To the west of the station was the Kinneil Slag Hill on the foreshore. It was initially the slag dump for the Kinneil Iron Works but later the colliery tip.
To the north was a two road locomotive shed, part of the colliery and ironworks lines. This was on the west side of the line. It was an old shed, dating from the 1850s.
To the north east was the Kinneil Iron Works and later the Furnace Yard Pit.
At the north end of the platform was a signal box, close to the locomotive shed.
The station closed in 1930.
Kinneil Colliery was a re-development of Furnace Yard Pit, completed in 1956. The sidings were rebuilt and a new signal box opened in 1961.
The line east to Boness [1st] closed in 1965.
The signal box was destroyed in the 1968 Central Scotland hurricane which caused extensive damage all over the Central Belt.
The line west and south to Manuel High Junction closed in 1979. Kinneil Colliery closed in 1982.
The preserved Boness and Kinneil Railway now runs here. The alignment to the east Kinneil Deviation (Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway) is a little to the north of the original route.
Manuel Low Level
Manuel High Level
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Kinneil Slag Hill
Kinneil Iron Works
The Museum of Scottish Railways
Birkhill Fireclay Mine
Grangemouth New Oil Terminal
Bridgeness No 6 Colliery
Bo^ness Low Junction
Watt^s Workshop Kinneil House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|