Inverlochy Footbridge

Location type

Place

Name and dates

Inverlochy Footbridge (1955-)

Description

This footbridge was erected by the British Aluminium Company to give access from the housing at Inverlochy (west) to the Lochaber Aluminium Works (east) over the Mallaig Extension (West Highland Railway).

The bridge is on the original alignment of the Lochaber Narrow Gauge Railway, portions of the embankment being visible to the footbridge's east. This construction era portion of the line was closed and replaced with an alignment to the south once the Lochaber Aluminium Works opened.

The bridge is known for its view over Fort William Junction Yard to the west and Tom-na-Faire Depot to the east. Nearby is another good viewpoint over the railway at Tom na Faire Viewpoint, higher farmland to the east.

Tags

Footbridge