This passing loop was north of Dunkeld. It was located on the west bank of the River Tay and, in its original form, had both north and south boxes. The loop line was on the west side and boxes on the east side.
The original loop opened in 1897 (with the increased traffic due to the opening of the direct route via Carrbridge) and closed in 1928. It was replaced for wartime traffic between 1942 and 1947.
The A9 now crosses the line, and the Tay, at this point. The A9 crosses on an oblique, the line placed in a long concrete 'box'.
Inchmagranachan itself is to the north.
Dunkeld and Birnam
| Inver Tunnel|
Dunkeld Road Bridge Temporary Signal Box
Beatrix Potter Garden
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2