Glentarras Siding (1864-1955)
Opened on the Langholm Branch (North British Railway).
This siding was approached from the north and was located on the east side of the line immediately south of Tarras Viaduct. It served Glen Tarras Distillery which was off to the east. It also served a tile works.
The siding had a loading bank, removed before 1930.
The distillery closed in 1914 and was used as temporary housing for HM Factory Gretna. An unadvertised platform was erected here. This remained in use after the Great War.
On the OS map of 1898 a signal box is shown on the east side of the line where the siding met the railway. This was probably a covered ground frame.
The siding was lifted in 1955.
Gretna Green [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Glen Tarras Distillery
Canonbie Colliery Signal Box
Peter^s Crook Siding
Longtown Branch Junction
Bush-on-Esk Signal Box
Bush-on-Esk East Junction
Bush-on-Esk West Junction
Longtown Exchange Sidings
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Railway to Langholm
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route