Forfar Gasworks

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Forfar Gasworks


Description

These gas works were east of Forfar [1st] and were rail served. These were probably opened with the railway as coal would be able to be delivered in bulk for the first time.

The works no longer exist, but the office building still stands on the east side of North Street. Of the gasworks itself a large stone wall remains bordering a carpark in Market Place.

Just to the south, on the west side is an abutment of a former railway bridge, the bridge was just to the east of Forfar [1st] station.


Tags

Gas works

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67