Fleetwood [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Fleetwood [2nd] (1851-1883)

Opened on the Fleetwood Deviation (Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and London and North Western Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a passenger terminus. It was built on roughly the site of Fleetwood [1st] which had been served from the south by a single track line approaching over a causeway and tressle bridge.

When the line was doubled in 1851 the northbound track was laid alongside the coast instead of the causeway, which was retained for a while for southbound trains before being abandoned due to maintenance costs.

The station was altered to allow access from the coast line approach.

This station was replaced by Fleetwood [3rd] which was further north at the former goods station in 1883.

04/04/2018

Tags

Station terminus