Fiddlersgill Signal Box (-1931)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
This signal box controlled the junction south of Braidwood for a mineral line network (Mauldslee Branch (Caledonian Railway)) serving iron ore quarries to the south of the village of Carluke, now a town.
The box was on the west side of the line by a trailing crossover. On the east side of the line the siding ran parallel, at first before striking off north to serve the quarries.
A siding also ran south parallel to the main line to reach the Scottish Terra-Cotta and Metallic Brick Works.
The branch was cut back to close to the junction by the 1890s.
The signal box closed in 1931.
The Fiddlers Burn passes under the Caledonian Railway's main line by a culvert. The railway remains open as the electrified main line.
Stirling Road [Morningside]
Other railway and industry locations
Fiddlersgill Signal Box
Nellfield Brick Works
Scottish Terra-Cotta and Metallic Brick Works
Craigenhill Lime Mines
Annabella or Threepwoodbank
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian