This is a one platform station, the former southbound platform. The loop line is lifted and northbound platform out of use.
There are sidings to the south end, east side of the line accessed from the south, in use for permanent way. The original two storey station building remains, now in use as a house, on the southbound platform.
When first opened the current platform was the only one, the loop was a later addition of 1910 along with the northbound platform.
The signal box opened in 1890. It was replaced in 1910 when the loop opened and was located at the west end of the loop on the south side alongside the goods yard turn out.
The loop closed in 1966 and the box closed.
Fearn's survival may seem surprising as it is in a very rural location, however it is the closest station to Cromarty (via a ferry) and serves a large area to the east with Balintore and Portmahomack in the north. The villages of Fearn and Hill of Fearn are over a mile to the east. Fearn Abbey is in the Fearn village.
| Tain Shed|
Nigg Oil Terminal
Nigg Fabrication Yard
Dornoch Firth Crossing
Hilton of Cadboll Chapel
Hugh Miller's Birthplace
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway