Elbowend Junction [1st] (1866-1966)
Opened on the West of Fife Railway and Harbour.
Opened on the Elgin Railway.
Opened on the Kincardine and Dunfermline Railway (North British Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This junction was formed when the Charlestown and Dunfermline Railway was met by the 1866 West of Fife Railway and Harbour. Both lines were single track and the signal box (dating from 1894) was in the 'V' of the junction.
The box was replaced in 1906 when the Kincardine Line (North British Railway) opened. This ran parallel for about half a mile to the north of the existing line before reaching the junction from the west. A new box was opened. This was contained within a loop - the lines from the east both doubling before reaching the junction and there being scissors to the west.
The route to Netherton closed in 1959. The box was closed in 1966 and the junction was realigned further west to Elbowend Junction [2nd] with a ground frame.
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
Charlestown Goods Signal Box
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Other railway and industry locations
Elbowend Junction [1st]
Elbowend Junction [2nd]
Dunfermline Tram Depot
St Leonard^s Works (Linen Damask)
Tower Burn Viaduct
Dunfermline Abbey and Palace
Dunfermline Carnegie Library
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Mining from Kirkintilloch to Clackmannan and Stirling to Slamannan
Stirlingshire and Clackmannanshire's Lost Railways
The Elgin or Charlestown Railway 1762-1863