This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. The main station building was on the northbound platform.
There was a goods yard at the north end, on the west side. It consisted of a single line, approached from the north, which served a loading bank. From this, by reversal a looped siding could be reached which served the Balblair Distillery, immediately to its west.
The station was originally a single platform station, the later northbound platform. The distillery relocated to the railway location in 1895. The loop opened around 1894 along with signal boxes at the north and south ends of the loop. The north box, in timber, was on the east side, opposite the distillery, and the south box was on the west side south of a minor road bridge.
A siding, approached from the north, was added at the south end and on the east side of the southbound line.
The station closed to passengers in 1960. The loop, and boxes, closed in 1962.
The distillery continued to be served by a siding for several years.
The station building still stands and is now a house. The platforms are intact.
The village of Edderton is to the south of the former station.
| Dornoch Firth Crossing|
Inchindown Oil Storage Facility
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway