Dirrans

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Dirrans (1834-1840)

Opened on the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway.

Description

This was a short lived passenger station on the Doura Branch of the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway. The station was on the east bank of the River Garnock, which was crossed by a bridge. This station was near a house called Dirrans where the line crossed the Kilwinning-Irvine road. It probably served the Eglinton Colliery and Ladyha Pit which was close by. Also close to the station were a saw mill and coke oven. The line continued north, east and then south to Doura. A nearby private line from the Eglinton Iron Works ran south to several coal mines.

Tags

Station terminus 02/11/2017


Dates

  /  /1834Ardrossan Railway
Passenger trains start running from Dirrans to Ardrossan.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)

Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)

Kilwinning 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.04 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)

Old Ardrossan

Old Kilwinning

Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844

The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History