Dipple Siding (1906-1955)
These sidings were north of Dipple itself. The sidings were on the west side of the line and approached from the north. There was a short loop within the goods yard. The yard had an office and a water tank.
There was a signal box opened in 1914. This was with the addition of a new passing loop on the east side of the line to increase line capacity. The box was on the east side of the loop.
The box was replaced with a ground frame in 1925. It reopened in 1936 before being replaced again with a ground frame.
The line closed to goods and completely in 1955.
The site is now a caravan park, Turnberry Holiday Park.
Other railway and industry locations
Girvan Grangeston Depot
Craighead Lime Works
Girvan No 1 [1st]
Bargany Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Locomotive Apprentice: At the North British Locomotive Company
Rails to Turnberry and Heads of Ayr: The Maidens & Dunure Light Railway & the Butlin's Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Tales of the Glasgow and South Western Railway