Dalsholm Paper Mills

Location type

Works

Name and dates

Dalsholm Paper Mills (1783-1970)

Served by the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Description

The site of this paper mill is now and area of grass parkland, within Dawsholm Park, on the west bank of the River Kelvin, just south of the old Dawsholm Bridge. The mill was opened by William McArthur. It consisted of two ranges of buildings parallel to the river. A mill lade ran between the buildings and there were three small reservoirs to the west.

The site was served by a short branch from Maryhill [NB] station. This branch crossed the River Kelvin by a bridge to the south of the mill. Approach was from the east where the branch made a trailing connection to the eastbound line through the station. The branch entered the mill from the south, running between the buildings.

Just south of the mill a long siding ran parallel to the river, passing under the Maryhill Viaduct [GDH] and Maryhill Viaduct [SR].

Local

Glasgow City Council - Dawsholm Park

Tags

Paper mill

Aliases

Dawsholm Paper Works

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

Glasgow Railway Memories

Glasgow Stations

Glasgow's Last Days of Steam

Rails Around Glasgow

The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)