Crossgates (Fife) (1923-1949)
Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).
This two platform station was to the east of a cutting. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there waiting rooms at the west end of both platforms. A small goods yard was on the north side, approached from the east which served the small Mossend Iron Foundry.
The location was rural, although Crossgates itself was to the south (around half a mile). Hill of Beath developed to the north and there were a number of mines in the area.
Little remains of the station, although the site of the removed platforms can still be seen. The line remains open.
This was briefly, from 1848 to 1849, the terminus of the Dunfermline Branch from Thornton Junction until the line was extended west to Dunfermline [2nd] (later Dunfermline Upper). Extending to Crossgates brought the Edinburgh and Northern Railway into the Fordell Colliery and its various pits, east of the temporary terminus.
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
Other railway and industry locations
No 12 Pit
Lady Anne Pit
Prathouse No 4 Pit
No 9 Pit
Cowdenbeath South Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|