Cree Viaduct (1861-1965)
Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
This was a five span single track viaduct over the River Cree. The bridge was unusual in having timber piers right up to the time of closure.
The contractors were McDonald and Grieve. work was difficult as the Cree is tidal at this point.
There was an accident here on the 28th of December 1922 when an eastbound mixed train split and derailed with the goods portion ending up at the foot of the embankment. The track was found to date from 1890 and the cause of the derailment the speed of the train.
The bridge was rebuilt several times. It was strengthened in 1962 with steel piling.
Little now remains of the bridge except the stone abutments at either end and some timber piles.
Gatehouse of Fleet
Millisle Exchange Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Newton Stewart Shed
Carsegowan Munitions Factory
Big Water of Fleet Viaduct
Barskeoch Level Crossing
Torhouse Stone Circle
Cairn Holy Chambered Cairns
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn