Castle Grant Platform (1863-1951)
Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
This private station, skewed bridge over a road, gatehouse and entry arch were built at the expense of the railway company to the design of the local landowner, the Earl of Seafield. The building was the East Lodge for the estate. The engineer was Joseph Mitchell.
The platform was to the north of the road bridge, east side of the line. Within the lodge was a circular staircase, in the tower, from road level to the platform.
The bridge is 'A' listed.
Castle Grant [Castle] itself is to the east. To the north on the former railway is a fine overbridge, also listed Castle Grant Estate Bridge.
See Guthrie Gate for another example of a gatehouse and bridge.
Castle Grant Platform
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Dalvey Farm Halt
Boat of Garten
Other railway and industry locations
Castle Grant Estate Bridge
River Dulnain Viaduct
Broomhill Spey Viaduct
Boat of Garten Shed
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]
Castle Grant [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2