This signal box was south of Canonbie station at the start of the short branch to Canonbie Colliery. The box was on the west side of the line. Access to the colliery was from the north via a reversing spur on the east side of the line, running south from the box.
The reversing spur also gave access to the goods shed, which was directly on the west side of the branch, south of the colliery. The shed still stands.
The signal box closed in 1921, replaced with a ground frame. Canonbie Colliery closed in 1926.
Gretna Green [1st]
| Canonbie Colliery|
Peter's Crook Siding
Glen Tarras Distillery
Longtown Branch Junction
Bush-on-Esk Signal Box
Bush-on-Esk East Junction
Bush-on-Esk West Junction
Longtown Exchange Sidings
Sandysike Brick Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Railway to Langholm
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route