Bowhouse Signal Box (1940-1971)
This signal box opened in the Second World War to control access to the Bowhouse Munitions Depot. This was an Air Ministry Munitions Factory where incendiary bombs were assembled.
The signal box was on the north side of the line opposite the siding which was attached to the northbound line and served from the north. With the opening of this box the nearby intermediate Barleith Signal Box, to the north, closed.
After the war the site remained in use and closed around 1968. The signal box closed in 1971.
The depot site is now a prison.
Riccarton and Craigie
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Dykehead Pit Siding
Dykehead Coal Pit
Cessnock Water Viaduct [North]
Bowhouse Munitions Depot
Barleith Pit No 2
Portland Pit Nos 6 and 7
Barleith Signal Box
Portland Pit No 5 and 8
Baltic Coal Pit
Barleith Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|