Bowershall Engine Works

Location type


Name and dates

Bowershall Engine Works


The works was built on the site of the Bower's Hall. The local area had the nickname 'The Bowery'.
Bowershall Iron and Engine Works
83 Bonnington Road (According to UofG)
PO Directories 1865-66, 1870-71, 1871-72

This was the works of T M Tennant & Co (Thomas M Tennant, see also Newington Works). It was a general engineering works producing a wide range of iron products including marine engines, slipways, buildings. The works was on the south side of Bonnington Road and without railway connection.

In the late 1860s the company made road steamers for Robert William Thomson however there was a legal argument between the two about the lack of specification and before long the work was taken from the company around 1869/70.

The company closed around 1878.

Alexander Blackie William Kennedy (later Sir) was an apprentice at the works.
Bowershall Engine Works
83 Bonnington Road
PO Directories 1874-75 1886, 1899-1900, 1901-02

This was the works of Umpherston & Co Ltd.
Later again it was Bonington Castings.


Iron works Engine works


Bowershall Iron and Engine Works Bowershall Iron Works

Nearby stations
Leith Walk [CR]
Foot of the Walk [Tram]
Pilrig Street
Leith Central
Junction Bridge
Balfour Street [Tram]
North Leith
The Shore [Tram]
Leith North
Leith Walk
Ferry Road
South Leith
McDonald Road [Tram]
Bonnington Bond
Bonnington Goods
Leith Walk West Goods
Junction Mills
Bonnington Steel Works
Leith Mills
Leith Walk Tram Depot
Midlothian Oatmeal Works
Leith Central Diesel Depot
Leith Engine Works
Constitution Street [Tram]
Bonnington Tannery
North Leith Tunnel
Trinity House
Bowling Green Street Level Crossing
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.