Blackhill Colliery Pits Nos 8 and 9

Location type

Mine

Name and dates

Blackhill Colliery Pits Nos 8 and 9

Served by the Kelvin Valley Railway.

Description

This colliery was north of Maryhill at Balmuildy with Blackhill Farm to the south west. The colliery opened around 1873, about the time the Kelvin Valley Railway opened (1879) and was owned by the Summerlee Iron Co.

Earlier pits, ironstone and coal, owned by Wilsons and Co (owners of Summerlee) were to the south (Blackhill Ironstone Pit). Several of these were connected by tramways to the Forth and Clyde Canal.

The pits 8 and 9 were on the east side of the line and approached from the south (Maryhill direction).

The Blackhill Brick Works was added later, located to the north of the spoil bing and directly connected by sidings to the colliery.

The colliery closed before 1945. The stub of the railway closed about 1961. The brick works survived until the early 1980s.

After closure of the railway, colliery and brick works the site was used for landfill.

Tags

Mine pit

Aliases

Blackhill Pits Nos 8 and 9

Nearby stations
Summerston [1st]
Gilshochill
Summerston
Bardowie
Maryhill [Temporary]
Lochburn
Maryhill
Possil North
Hillfoot
Dawsholm
Possilpark (Private)
Possilpark and Parkhouse
Maryhill Central
Kelvindale
Bennie Railplane
Blackhill Brick Works
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Cadder Pit No 15
Cadder Pit No 9
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Blackhill Ironstone Pit
Cadder Pit No 17
Ironstone Pit
Garscube Colliery [Maryhill]
Tourist/other
Possil Loch
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.


Books


An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

Forgotten Railways: Scotland