Bellahouston [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Bellahouston [2nd] (1885-1954)

Opened on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was originally a two platform station. The main building was on the Glasgow bound platform. Bellahouston No 2 Junction to east. The street level ticket office was on a bridge on the west side of Gower Street. The first Bellahouston No 3 signal box (1885) was west of the station, on the north side of the line.

The station expanded to three platforms. An additional westbound platform was added, making the existing westbound platform into an island. The second Bellahouston No 3 signal box (1895) was on the westbound platform.

Belllahouston Cleaning Shed was to the north.

The station closed in 1954. The box closed in 1967, taken over by the Glasgow Central Power Box. The main platform lines remain in use but the island platform line is now a headshunt for Shields Depot.

The east end of today's Dumbreck station is close to the west end of the former station.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map