Ardmore West Signal Box

Location type

Place

Name and dates

Ardmore West Signal Box (1943-1973)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.

Description

This wartime signal box of 1943 was north of Moss Road Level Crossing and located on the east side of the railway. The box controlled the approach to the north end of Ardmore Yard, associated with Faslane Military Port. The buffer stops of the eastbound yard were just to the south over Moss Road.

The box was modernised for the electrification of the line in 1960. The yard, in reduced form, surviving for some time afterwards. The box closed in 1973.

Tags

Signal box level crossing Second World War


Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

Glasgow Railway Memories

Glasgow Stations

Glasgow's Last Days of Steam

Rails Around Glasgow

The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)