Akeld

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Akeld (1887-1930)

Opened on the Cornhill Branch (North Eastern Railway).


Description

This was a single platform station with a passing loop. A goods yard was served from a reversing spur which ran east from the east end of the platform line. The platform line was the loop, the other line being a straight through.

The goods yard had coal drops, a goods shed and loading banks.It was on the south side of the line at the east end.

The west end of the platform was crossed by a stone road bridge. The station building was of two storeys, typical of the line. The building had a timber built porch on the platform side. This had a small timber extension platform side - the signal cabin. (Although early maps show a signal box on the north side of the line opposite the platform.)

Akeld itself is to the south of the former station.

The station building is now a house. Station cottages also remain by the former station access road. The road bridge has gone, the road realigned on the level.

The former stone build goods store is now accommodation The Warehouse Akeld .

06/03/2019

Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map