Achterneed

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Strathpeffer [1st] (1870-1885)
Achterneed (1885-1964)

Opened on the Dingwall and Skye Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was the first station to serve Strathpeffer, just under two miles to the south. It was inconveniently located away from the town and up a hill due to local opposition (largely Sir William MacKenzie of Coul) to taking the line through the town.

From 1885 the town was served by Strathpeffer [2nd], the terminus of a branch and actually located in the town, and this station was renamed Achterneed.

The station had two platforms and a loop which was crossed by a level crossing to the west of the platforms. The main station building was on the westbound platform.

There was a goods siding to the west of the crossing, on the north side, accessed by reversal from the eastbound line.

Due to the falling gradient from the east end of the station dropping down to Fodderty Junction there was a sand drag at the east end of the eastbound platform.

The signal box was to the east of the waiting room on the eastbound platform. It opened in 1893 and was replaced in 1923.

The station officially closed in 1964 but anecdotal evidence suggests it remained in use for much longer.

The box survived until 1966 when the loop closed. The closure date of the station is unknown.

Little remains of the station save the railway cottages which were above the station and are now private houses.

Raven's Rock Summit is to the west and Fodderty Junction was to the east.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map