Looking down the hill on the old Lancaster Canal Tramroad near Whitehouse Junction in December 2020. This was actually a slight realignment of the original route with an easier gradient allowing the Penwortham rope incline to be dispensed with. The stone wall on the left is one of the few surviving artefacts of the old double track plateway with the East Lancashire Railway route into Preston, also now a cycle route, on the embankment above. The five mile link between the two canal basins was abandoned in 1854 but this two mile stretch south from Preston has remained available as a public right of way through to the present day.
Location: Whitehouse North Junction
Photographer: Mark Bartlett
Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett
Image number: 75436