The Midland Railway Centre's Butterley station, showing its full title Butterley for Ripley and Swanwick, seen from a train from Hammersmith to Riddings on 4th May 2019. The station originally opened with the line from Ambergate to Pye Bridge on 1st May 1875 as Butterley and until 1st June 1930 was the junction for a branch via the town of Ripley to Little Eaton Junction, just north of Derby, the important town of Ripley losing its passenger service decades before Beeching. (In the first edition of 'Passengers No More' by G. Daniels and L.A. Dench, there is a great shot by the renowned railway photographer H.C. Casserley of a train arriving from Butterley at Ripley station in 1926.) On 29th July 1935, Butterley station was renamed Butterley for Ripley and Swanwick and stayed open for passengers until 16th July 1947 and for freight until 1964 with the line being abandoned in 1968. After closure the station was demolished but an identical disused station at Whitwell, closed in 1964, was taken apart brick by brick, reassembled here and opened with the first section of the heritage line on 22nd August 1981. (A brand new station at Whitwell was opened in 1998 with the resumption of passenger services between Mansfield Woodhouse and Worksop.)

Location: Butterley

Company: Ambergate to Pye Bridge and Codnor Park (Midland Railway)

Photographer: David Bosher

Make contact: David Bosher

Date: 04/05/2019

Image number: 70171

Other photographs of Butterley on RailScot