All the comforts of home... not! The spartan crew facilities offered by a WD Austerity 2-8-0 stabled alongside Hawick shed in 1958. With the help of a damp cloth the cabside number has been partially revealed as (what appears to be) 90004. Built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1943, originally as War Department 7033, the locomotive spent the whole of the post-war period based in central Scotland until withdrawn from Thornton Junction at the end of 1963. Even disposal was fairly local, being carried out in the yard of T W Ward, Inverkeithing, in May 1964.
Location: Hawick Shed
Photographer: Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)
Make contact: Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney)
Image number: 62589