An old grainy photo showing the first locomotive of the Garstang & Knot End Railway at Garstang Town around 1871. This was Hebe, a Manning Wardle 0-4-2ST and when the line opened in December 1870 it was their only locomotive. After more than a year of continuous use it broke down, leading to financial problems for the G&KER and Hebe being repossessed. The line closed in 1872 but reopened in 1875 with two new locomotives, Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST Union and Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST Farmers Friend, which had a piercing whistle and became unofficially known as The Pilling Pig. Garstang station was later rebuilt as an island platform.
Location: Garstang Town
Company: Garstang and Knot End Railway
Photographer: Knott End Collection
Contact photographer: Knott End Collection
Image number: 61114