Very little remains of the substantial Victoria Viaduct over the South Esk. This is the base a pier on the northern side of the river. The viaduct was described by Hajducki as carried 'on a series of slender Danzig timber arches'. The viaduct was later rebuilt with girders to carry the Dalkeith Branch of the North British which ran from Hardengreen to Smeaton. The line fell out of use in 1934 and the viaduct was demolished in 1940. This photograph was taken in the winter of 2004, it is difficult to find anything in the summer!
Location: Victoria Viaduct
Company: Duke of Buccleuch^s Tramway
Photographer: Ewan Crawford
Make contact: Ewan Crawford
Image number: 35615