Part of the 1957 OS One Inch map covering Glasgow. This is an
extract showing the city centre when there was a quartet of termini.
For some reason Central is made to look much narrower than it is.
Glasgow does pretty well for stations even now but of course there were even more in 1957. The only closed one identified as such is Gorbals, though in that vicinity alone Cumberland Street, Eglinton Street, Shields Road and Strathbungo all went with Beeching. Shields Road and Rutherglen were both extensive enough to need two blobs, which is perhaps misleading. Crown copyright 1957.
Photographer: David Panton
Contact photographer: David Panton
Image number: 32442Tags: Map