Rainford

A Cravens DMU heads away from Rainford Junction on the single line section to the Merseyrail interchange at Kirkby. The DMU is just about at the point where the direct line from Ormskirk to St. Helens passed over this line. The curving platform seen here was used by passenger trains to Ormskirk until 1951 and a mirror platform on the other side catered for St. Helens services until the same year. Rainford Junction is largely unchanged today and the signalman still emerges from the box to hand over or collect the staff from trains on the single line stub. See image 27639

Location: Rainford

Company: Liverpool and Bury Railway (Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway)

Photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett

Contact editor

Date: 03/11/1980

Image number: 21273