Dundee and Newtyle Deviations (Scottish Central Railway)

Introduction

Alterating deviations made by the Caledonian Railway and its predecessors which eliminated the cable-operated inclines of the original Dundee and Newtyle Railway.





Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Ninewells to Baldovan

Ninewells Junction to Baldovan and Downfield.

This was a double track junction where the deviation built to replace the Law Incline, Law Tunnel and Dundee Ward Road joined the Dundee and Perth Railway.
...

More details
A class 101 Metro-Cammell 3 car DMU on a Dundee - Perth service in April 1979 is seen looking east from Riverside Drive as it approaches the site of ...
John McIntyre /04/1979

Initially this was a single platform station built on the north side of the line with a siding to the west, served from the west.
...

More details
Scottish Rambler no 5 behind 64620 on a photostop at Liff on 9 April 1966 during a visit to Dundee's Maryfield branch. The seldom photographed ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 09/04/1966

This was a single platform station, on the north side of the line. It was on the western edge of Lochee, beside Victoria Cottage, near a series of quarries such as Charleston Quarry, just to the west.
...

More details

This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building was on the northbound platform. The loop ran west to Gibb's Lane and east over High Street to Lochee Goods, Camperdown Linen Works and the line north to Baldovan. The main station building had a canopy.
...

More details
Old view of Lochee looking west. ...
Aitken Scott //
'The Miley' (the Miley Urban Wildlife Reserve Dundee) occupies a portion of the former railway running north east from the former station at Lochee. ...
John Yellowlees 22/02/2017
The former Lochee station building is now a Burns Club. ...
John Yellowlees 22/02/2017
Lochee station's former Newtyle bound platform building seen between the billboards. ...
John Yellowlees 22/02/2017


This goods yard was to the east of Lochee station. It was on the south side of the line and approached from the west.
...

More details





Balbeuchly Foot

Balbeuchly Foot to Auchterhouse [2nd].




This station was on the deviation which allowed the Balbeuchly Incline to close.
...

More details
Road bridge south west of Dronley station. ...
Brian Forbes 27/05/2007


This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. The main station building was at the west end of the westbound platform and there was a signal box midway along the eastbound.
...

More details
Auchterhouse station yard. ...
Brian Forbes 27/05/2007
View of the old line between Auchterhouse (bottom right) to Dronley (middle left). Passenger closure 1955.View SW and the peak is Blacklaw Hill. ...
Brian Forbes 27/05/2007
SLS Angus Tour, 20th May 1961

...
Jim Currie (Courtesy Stephenson Locomotive Society) 20/05/1961




Hatton to Newtyle

Hatton [D and NR] to Newtyle Junction.

This was not a true junction, but exists in the Act for the new line which replaced the Hatton Incline approach to Newtyle [1st] from the south.
...

More details

This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The loop extended north west to Newtyle Junction. Trains from Dundee West divided here to continue to both Blairgowrie and Alyth.
...

More details
Overbridge on the Newtyle Deviation. ...
Brian Forbes 01/04/2007
C.R. 0.4.4T 55194 at Newtyle on Newtyle - Alyth train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/07/1950
C.R. 0.4.4T 55227 at Newtyle on Dundee - Blairgowrie train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/07/1950





Newtyle to Alyth Junction

Newtyle Junction to Alyth Junction.


This was the platform on the flyover from Newtyle Junction for the Alyth Branch at Alyth Junction, see the latter station for details. ...

More details




Maryfield Goods Branch

Fairmuir Junction to Maryfield Goods.